After installing VS 2010 SP1, Intellisense stopped working in SQL Server Management Studio SSMS 2008 and R2 databases. After searching on the net, I found that this issue is being discussed on this thread and a MS support guy Weilin Qiao has given the following suggestion:
Go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > Transact-SQL > IntelliSense, and select Enable IntelliSense.
For each opening query window, please go to Query >> Intellisense Enabled.
To refresh IntelliSense local cache, go to Edit > IntelliSense > Refresh Local Cache or use the CTRL+Shift+R keyboard shortcut to refresh.
Enable statement completion: Go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > Transact-SQL > General, and check on Auto list members and Parameter information boxes.
Reboot SQL Server Management Studio.
I have tried the suggestions without much success and probably I will uninstall Sp1 and reinstall it again. I will update this post once I am able to figure this out! If you have a solution that works, please share it with the readers.
Update and a Workaround: Anonymous pointed me to a thread on MSConnect where a workaround shared by Richard Glidden is to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Cumulative Update 6 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2489376)